Thursday, October 22, 2015

More Randomish News

People tell me things...

Via reader Ed, a new version of OpenBSD is out with improved PowerPC and G5 stability and performance. I don't know much about OpenBSD, but don't let that stop you ;)

Also, Hack 5190 at MacRumors' PowerPC Forum dropped news of a new version of the Flash hack that has the old 10.1 plugin spoof itself as the latest v19. This should be useful to those of you using Cameron Kaiser's SandboxSafari.

In case you missed it, the PowerPC Hub just celebrated its fourth birthday with a video.

At the Ubuntu forums, I saw this Radeon UMS thread for users who need to disable KMS and can't get acceleration because the Radeon driver dropped UMS support. The new UMS-enabled debs are for Ubuntu 14.04, but just for giggles I tested them on Debian and they worked! I just had to install libgcrypt11 1.5.3 in addition to the debs provided--the libgcrypt11 in Debian was too old.

Finally, Apple's ruse to release El Capitan as x86 only to reveal it was PowerPC all along is up:

Spotify 1.0.8 on El Capitan detected as a PowerPC app

Nice try, Apple. If it weren't for those meddling kids!

4 comments:

  1. PowerPC Hub is a decent resource, and is fairly knowledgeable. Strangely though, he should really be re-branding to x86 Hub!

    For Linux news, not much beats I.G. https://www.youtube.com/user/InfinitelyGalactic/videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I've seen that Australian guy before here and there. This is the first time I've checked out his actual channel, though. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. PowerPC Hub = Fanboy faking his way through everything, and as Adam mentioned above, it should be called x86 Hub.

    There is something in the fanboy culture telling these inept people that they should be giving computing advice, when it fact they shouldn't even be giving it to their grandparents; let alone consumers looking for advice from real people, but they expect these people to actually know their stuff instead of faking it. You would think that after four years he would be tired of his own BS, but I guess not.

    As for flash... I have not used it since about 2009, and if some site with some video I want to watch needs flash, then I simply don't watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Zen! Long time no speak. As jolly as ever it seems.

      Delete