Sunday, May 8, 2016

Cool Mac Book in the Making

No, not MacBook, Mac book. As in someone's writing a book about gaming on the Mac called "The Secret History of Mac Gaming." As the title suggests, it's going to be a narrative-style retelling of the history of Mac game development and draws on all sorts of interviews with key players from the 68k era through the early 2000s. What could make this interesting is these were for the most part indie developers who followed their own muses and came up with some really creative UIs and gameplay, so I'm sure they have great stories to tell.

The author, Richard Moss, emailed me drawing my attention to this and has some serious credentials, having written for Ars Technica, Edge, Mac|Life and several gaming sites as well as producing a podcast, Ludiphilia. There's a crowdfunding site for both digital and deluxe print editions of the book which you can visit here. There's also a pitch video on Youtube. Both links will tell you a bit more about the project and how you can contribute, so I'd encourage you to check them out.

I'm in for £10 for the ebook, so I'll have my name in the back of the book. Finally I get my name on a book that sells :)))))))

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty cool. Shame Steve Jobs never had a genuine interest in gaming. It's an even bigger shame Bungie sold out to Microsoft and abandoned their entire original fan-base.
    Speaking of bungie though, I've got some good news in the world of PowerMac gaming. I've managed to get the latest version of Oni's Anniversary Edition Mod working on PowerMacs! Check out the thread here: http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2969

    ReplyDelete